Friday 17 February 2017


THE BOOK THIEF
by Markus Zusak

Rating: ★★★★★

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath.
Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel's Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hiden in the snow. It is The Grace Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Naxi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.
But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down.
In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author, Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

~ * ~

There's a few things I crave most in life, and one of them is a good, enjoyable book. The kind of book that is life-changing and will literally leave you breathless after shutting it closed. And The Book Thief was one of them! Now that I have finished reading it, I'm glad I took the chance to pick up this book and read it. In all truths, I had actually been rather skeptical of it. When I first read the book summary, I was kinda frightened actually. Some of the book covers had a grim reaper on it, dancing with a child, and it was enough to get me creeped out, lol. :) However, I saw the cover for the one I'm holding now (the one where there's a line of dominoes on it), and my interest was tweaked. The summary was intriguing - but what made me grab onto this book was that Death was the narrator of the story. Now that, I thought, was a unique idea! :D



~ * ~

Official Site:

Wikipedia:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment