Friday 17 July 2009


WARNING: SPOILERS FOR MOVIE!

THE FALL

RATING: ★★★★

I watched this movie a while back and when I finished watching it, I was surreally moved by all the events that passed. Here's a summary of the movie:

SUMMARY: 
In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm, a fantastical story about 5 mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality starts to blur as the tale advances.
- IMDB


When I first read this story, I was intrigued because I always like strange stories and this seemed to fit the bill of what I'd call a fascinating venture. :) I was blown away by visuals, it was stunning! And I loved how symbolic some of them looked during Roy's storytelling (like the horse falling). It made it more interesting to watch, although I didn't really care to watch the black & white scenes, (gotta admit I like color better in this one, lol.)

I loved the bond between the injured stuntman called Roy Walker and the little girl with the broken arm called Alexandria. What turns out to be a fickle trickery for Roy becomes something more when he starts to tell Alexandria a story that connects them together significantly. Roy changes when he is with Alexandria, while the little girl also grows up with him. She teaches him that some things are worth fighting for no matter what happens.


I thought the story about the Bandits was sorta ironically funny. I especially liked seeing Roy as the Masked Bandit, it made him look really handsome with (and without!) the mask! :) The four other bandits that appear in the story added some more color to the blank canvas. And the appearance of the princess was beautiful, although it annoyed me to no end how she betrays her so-called loved one in the end.


This movie reminds me of a movie called Secondhand Lions, which is a tale about a boy left with two of his Grandfathers who, in the past have been warriors/bandits or sorts, is told of their past during his stay with them. And another movie that reminds me of this one is called Pan's Labyrinth (El Laberinto del Fauno), which is a story that I can't really explain too well without spoiling anything. So please just check it out on the IMDB page! :)

Overall, a very good movie to watch! It's thought-provoking and imaginative! :)

WARNING: Underage children should watch with an adult!


Official Site:

IMDB:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment