Wednesday 15 July 2009


WARNING: SPOILERS for the MOVIE!

1408


Rating: ★★★★

So... I finally got around to watching this movie. And I got the heebie jeebies from it... It's been a very long while since I got this frightened, and as always, Stephen King's works does not disappoint (even though I think some of them tend to become bizarre in the middle, lol!)

I've been fascinated with this movie ever since I saw the trailer. I thought it had an intriguing plot and setting. Although I didn't know much about the main character, I had a feeling it was going to be good. :) And I'm glad I wasn't disappointed!

-

Loved:
- The psychological elements in the story
- The meaning of 'ghosts/spirits' that the story seems to want to share
- Mike's fight with his inner demons
- His humor/sarcasm on the supernatural
- The song that plays while he is tormented by the room
- The voice speaking through the phone... O_O

There was a lot of scenes where my heart jumped out of my chest, but the moment that scared me the most was the ticking digital clock. I've never seen a counting down clock portrayed that way, and it was fascinating and terrifying at the same time! :)

- The ghosts & corpses actually didn't scare me as much! It was the mental situations that made me shiver. 
- I felt sorry for Mike's pain of losing his daughter, I could feel it and it just hurt to see him so hurt.
- I freaked a bit when my name was spoken in one of the beginning scenes of the movie! (There is a moment where Mike is signing a book for a fan of his called 'Anna'.)

I think the song that plays in the radio, which I found out was called 'We've Only Just Begun' by The Carpenters, was very chilling! It added a sense of mystery and a edginess to the movie. Especially since the lyrics go like this... "We've only just begun... to live"

The movie has two alternate endings, one where the hero survives and the other where he dies. Personally, I liked the one where Mike lives, because there's just so much more prospect and satisfaction in seeing the guy survive. It annoyed me to see Mike die, because I felt as if the room had won after all... So I'm glad that the theatrical one was where Mike is alive! :)

-

I thought the score was fitting, the actors were brilliant (especially John Cusack, which I admire for his extraordinary talent) and Samuel L. Jackson (I think he rocks in everything!) :D, the cinematography was superb. I loved the unusual angles the camera was shot, it added the sense of fear to the movie!

-

Overall, I thought this was a very good movie! 
Maybe not for everyone, cause its not the typical monster/splatter/horror movie, but more on the humane (I guess) category. 

But its definitely well made and its worth a look! ;)

-

"Don't Enter 1408."

Official Site:

IMDB:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment