Wednesday 15 July 2009


WARNING: SPOILERS FOR MOVIE & BOOK!


HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

Rating: ★★★★★

I watched the movie yesterday morning in a fit of giggly excitement, already looking forward to this ever since I saw the trailer a few times. (I think the second trailer convinced me of its rightfully earned hype! :D)

Although perhaps not as action-packed as the previous installment of the Harry Potter series, the thickening plot and tightening relationships (or unfastening?) between many of the known characters is fascinating to watch. Since I still need to work on writing summaries (lol, really! My mom says I talk too much and babble spoilers!), here's a different summary on the net!

SUMMARY:
(Warning: Is Very Long. O_O)

Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort’s defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Harry finds himself more and more drawn to Ginny, but so is Dean Thomas. And Lavender Brown has decided that Ron is the one for her, only she hadn’t counted on Romilda Vane’s chocolates! And then there’s Hermione, simmering with jealously but determined not to show her feelings. As romance blossoms, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again.
- Apple Trailers

I was really satisfied with how the movie turned out! I think its a brilliant book-to-movie adaptation and fans will probably be thrilled to see that nothing important has been tampered with (I always get annoyed when that happens! e.g.- Eragon)!


Best Attributes of the Movie:
- CGI (I think that was rather obvious, eh? lol)
- The Score (Subtle but fitting with every scene in the movie! When I read the book, I always had a more eerie, foreboding sort of music playing in my head and for me, the score played in the movie clicked like a puzzle!)
- Acting / Actors (Although I sorta wished there were more scenes of other actors!)
- Location & Sets (Top notch, as always with all the HP movies!)
- Lighting (Sometimes it was bright, while other times it became sinister and heavy.)
- Editing (It was really well done, the way one clip didn't seem to bash together with the other!)

I really enjoyed the humor! It's been awhile since I actually laughed without grimacing at several of the jokes I hear lately on new movies! (Land of the Lost was AWFUL. Don't ever watch it unless you want to die of stupidity.) So I was really glad that most of the jokes were hilarious and not harmful! :)


Hilarious Moments:
- Hermione banging the book at Ron because he kept eating while his best friend was still missing
- And then at Harry when he says, 'But I AM the Chosen One!'
- Lavender and her 'Won Won'
- Luna with her lion head thing, her appearance with Harry while going to Professor Slughorn's party and her quote about sleepwalking
- Professor Slughorn's question to Hermione about Dentists being a very, dangerous profession
- Ginny's "SHUT IT!"
- Fred & George's Special service with their little brothers when it comes to business
- Ron eating all the chocolates and getting infected by the love potion ("I LOVE HER!!!" *throws chocolate box when Harry doesn't believe Ron*)
- Harry's upbeat attitude after drinking the Felix Felicis (the Luck Potion) and saying, "I need to go to Hagrid's place! I have a feeling! You know what I mean!?"
- Hermione being chased by Cormac! lol!


Awesome Moments:
- The Death Eater scene in the beginning where they enter the scene in black smoke. Now THAT's what I call smashing entrance! lol
- Hermione is with Ron in the recovery room, when Ron mutters, "Hermione..."
- Ron's quidditch skills! It's actually quite brilliant! I was cheering him on!
- I love the flashback scenes where Tom Riddle is still young! I think those scenes give it a nice touch of sinisterness! :D I love the evil grin he has while he's doing something evil, lol... o.o



Saddest Moments:
- The Weasley house burning down (It was so sad to see the house that I've come to love all these years had been taken down... I really liked that building and the memories the characters have while living/staying there...)
- The scene in the cave where Dumbledore is pleading to Harry to stop making him drink the poisoned water
- Dumbledore's death as he starts to fall lifeless down the castle.. It was heartbreaking...
- Draco's pain, it made him pitiful but saddening all the same
-Poor Aragog... :(


There were a few things I'm still a bit confused about, like why Hagrid's spider-friend Aragog is dead, the pendant Katie was trying to give and who it was and I think a few more which I can't remember. But I guess I'll know when I see the next movie or re-read HBP! :)



Official Site:

IMDB:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment